Saturday, September 29, 2012

Looper Review

    Welcome to the jungle-Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis as Joe-both present and future in Looper
                           Looper is the prime example of how to do a futuristic thriller. Yes...I know people will be asking me if I have even seen Blade Runner after reading that statement. You know what? In my humble opinion...Looper kicks Blade Runner's butt any day of the week. It is an intense, entertaining and amazingly acted piece of art. This is not to say that I think Blade Runner is not also all of these things...it's just to say that Looper does it a bit better. I know I am comparing apples to oranges in some people's eyes but I just wanted to voice my opinion as is the point of these reviews.

                          The film stars Joseph Gordon Levitt as Joe. He kills people from the future when the mob wants them gone. This is done out of secrecy so when one day Joe has to kill his future self (for reasons I will not specify)...he is afraid of what is going to go down. His future self is played by Bruce Willis who has outdone himself with his work here. Although his character is not as prominent here as you may expect...that makes it all the more better. He brings a quiet subtlety to the role that he never lets go of. Gordon Levitt is fantastic here as well. Levitt has proven himself this year with The Dark Knight Rises and Premium Rush but I would be lying if I said this was not his best performance to date.

                           We also get a great supporting cast with Jeff Daniels as the main villain and Emily Blunt as a mother of a child who..well it is more fun if you just see the movie. The film also features some intense action ranging anywhere from a gun shootout to a telekinetic explosion. Also...the whole future feel of the film is the perfect atmosphere. This is also a very emotional film. I will have to mention that there is a scene in a diner between Willis and Levitt that is quite possibly the best single scene in a film so far this year.

                            With exciting action, amazing acting, a fantastic script and direction from Rian Johnson...Looper is one of the best films so far this year. In fact...between Looper and End Of Watch....I will have to say that the fall is already better than the summer as far as action films go.
(5 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for strong violence, language, some sexuality/nudity and drug content)

No comments:

Post a Comment