Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Holy Motors Review

He's motoring-Eva Mendes and Denis Lavant as Kay M and a man with many personalities in Holy Motors
                         Holy Motors is a fascinating idea for a movie gone horribly wrong. I actually saw this film a few days ago and while I tend to think about a film I saw before I review it...I REALLY had to think about this one. The film is similar to that drunk guy at a party who is amusing the hell out of himself but is irking everyone else. It is a film that will bore many and make just about everyone sick of it long before the final credits role around. I actually had to think about this film long and hard not because it is a smart film. No...far from it. Rather...I had to do so because it is such a weird film that I couldn't help but wonder if writer/director Leos Carax made the film bad on purpose.

                         The film follows a man (Denis Lavant) who rides around in a limo with his chauffeur Celine (Edith Scob) while switching into multiple personalities. In this way-the film reminded me much of the Woody Allen classic Zelig. It is the same plot-a man who can be multiple people and just blend into whomever he is. However, Zelig is a classic....Holy Motors is far from that status.

                         The main thing that made me upset with this film is the fact that Lavant is obviously a major talent. He's got the look, feel and even the sound of a very versatile actor. So why is he hamming it up until the final, unfunny twists? I can't put my finger on it but I know there has to be a reason other than a paycheck. The film also features way too many moments where a story gets boring but never seems to end. There is an extremely strange scene with Lavant as a dancer of sorts that goes on for much too long. It is almost like Carax did not have a script and just came up with any weird idea he could think of. Take the two end twists. If you have seen the film you know what I am talking about. These twists are not only too strange for their own good and unfunny. They also have the feeling of being jammed into the film for no apparent reason. The very end of the film feels as if Carax did not have a good idea on how to end the film so he just winged it. The whole film is very much like this...bouncing from one weird idea to the next without ever giving the audience any real insight or substance.

                         In the end there are very few reasons to see Holy Motors. Lavant is a talented actor but even he can't save this film. The whole thing is too smug and the experience of watching it too discomforting.
(1 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is Not Rated)

No comments:

Post a Comment