Saturday, January 2, 2016

Ten Worst Films Of 2015!!!!

Here they are, the most dreadful films of 2015. The ones that made me regret throwing my money down and sucked the life right out of me. Before I get into this list, I would like to point out that some horrible films I saw in 2015 were fascinatingly bad and therefore made me at least enjoy them a little in my own perverse way. Therefore, dreadful but interestingly bad films such as Aloha, Rock The Kasbah,  Fantastic Four, Pan and Mortdecai will not be making my list. Before I get to the list, some dishonorable mentions are in order. I regret to inform everyone that films such as Hot Pursuit, Jupiter Ascending, Seventh Son, Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse, The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials, In The Heart Of The Sea, Everest and the immensely disappointing The Good Dinosaur could not quite make the list. So here are the ones that did manage to make it on this list of disasters...
(10) Allegiant
I didn't like Divergent but I went into Allegiant with an open mind. What I got was an exercise in tedium that confirmed for me that I couldn't care less about the last installment. This is as bad an example of the problem with Young Adult adaptations as there ever will be. This is especially disappointing because there is talent in front of and behind the camera. 

(9) The Gallows 
I almost feel bad for putting this film on the list because apparently the two writer-directors (who seem like nice guys) got screwed over by the studios. This is believable since the premise had potential and a nonsensical last minute twist at least showed a hint of effort. However, the film is every stupid horror cliche you could think of involving four of the most unlikable characters put together in  a film. Unfortunately, the character who is most unbearable is the one with the camera so he doesn't just immediately scram.
(8) Paul Blart Mall Cop 2
I don't hate Kevin James like a lot of people do. In fact, I sort of enjoy the guy. He's earnest and has the ability to be extremely funny. That's why I went into Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 with a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, I walked out of that theater with my soul crushed and a realization that Happy Madison Productions has turned James into a jerk. Seriously, for someone so likable, he sure portrays Blart as a nasty guy in this film. The first film was actually alright because James was likable and you were rooting for him. Here, you just wish he and the film would both go away.
(7) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
Talk about a cash grab! Although Jennifer Lawrence's other film of 2015, Joy, was pretty terrible, it at least had a few (and I mean a very few) moments of something good. With not a single exciting moment and a plot that lazily throws everything at the wall with nothing sticking, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 is not merely dull but shameless.
(6) Fifty Shades Of Grey
This was based on "Twilight" fan fiction that was written by a woman who has shown in interviews she probably doesn't know how to read on her Blackberry. Need I say more? Fifty Shades Of Grey was a truly deadening experience that made me yearn for the days of Twilight. 
(5) Unfinished Business 
Unfinished Business did the unthinkable in 2015. It took incredible talent such as Vince Vaughn, Tom Wilkinson, Dave Franco, Sienna Miller, Nick Frost, June Diane Raphael and James Marsden and made them all boring a-holes. A comedy with not a single laugh, this film felt like torture from beginning to end. It was a barely 90 minute comedy that felt like days. The only silver lining is it flopped which means audiences at least know what to skip sometimes. 
(4) Irrational Man 
Irrational Man was Woody Allen's confirmation that he may be smart to retire while people still remember his classics. While a lot of his recent ones have been no great shakes, this was the first time I was actually angry at an Allen film. With not a plot to speak of, this was one truly awful film that never came close to deciding whether it should be a comedy, drama, murder mystery or anything.
(3) American Ultra
This was the film that was more famous for its screenwriter, Max Landis crying like a baby over the fact that the film flopped and acting like audiences were bad people for being smart enough to skip out on this stinker than for being released. American Ultra was a horrible film (if you even want to call it that) the likes of which I had never seen before. Landis acted like it was such an original idea when it was actually just a total rip off of the TV show Chuck, a far superior property. No worries, though, because Landis proved that he was lying when he acted like he cared about original ideas in movies by writing another film that may show up further down this list.
(2) No Escape 
Just like Brooklyn was a film that very old fashioned, so was No Escape. However, unlike Brooklyn, it was for all the wrong reasons. The fact that a film this offensively racist could get made in 2015 is absolutely shocking. I like Owen Wilson and Lake Bell a lot and I think John Erick and Drew Dowdle have potential as young filmmakers. However, this was an incredibly unpleasant sit from start to finish and one that I only wish I could take back.

And hands down the worst film of 2015 is....

(1) Victor Frankenstein
What an unholy mess this was! After American Ultra flopped, Landis went on Twitter and acted like he cared about the lack of original ideas in Hollywood. What's the next screenplay under his belt? Victor Frankenstein, a completely unoriginal abomination of a film that makes me cringe to even think about. Of course, Landis even attacked The Revenant and Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy personally on the day this film's embargo was lifted. I have a feeling he realized what a stupid film he had written and wanted to get attention for something else. When the first line of your film is Igor (Daniel Radcliffe) admitting how unoriginal the film is, you have a problem. This was an experience where I felt like I was going to die every second. The only good thing to come out of this film was a second major flop written by Landis in 2015. Soon enough, not even riding on daddy's coattails will keep little Max in Hollywood. Congratulations, Max Landis, you can't write an even somewhat competent screenplay if your life depended on it and the only reason you are allowed to make the studios lose all this money is because you have a dad who made some decent films a long time ago.

There they are, the worst films of 2015. Let's hope 2016 features a lot less films like these and another huge flop penned by Max Landis to end his career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment