Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Darkest Hour Movie Review


                               
How do I describe, or hell, even interpret a movie as soulless, as boring, as badly acted, as badly directed, as mean spirited, and as cliche as The Darkest Hour? Well, to answer my own question, I might describe it as the worst film of 2011, or as one of the worst films I've ever seen period. Actually, I think I'll describe it as both. The Darkest Hour is over before it even begins as two slimy businessmen get shut down by a big, evil company in Moscow, and after a long night of partying wake up to discover not a hangover but an alien attack. These two businessmen are played by Emile Hirsch and Max Minghella, and the women they must fight off these monsters with are Olivia Thirbly and Rachael Taylor. What are such talented people in doing a movie that deserves nothing but an appalling review? Hirsch, especially, so good as Chris McCandless, a normal city boy turned woodsman in Into The Wild phones it in to an enormous degree here. The film is in 3D, and I still can't figure out why. There is no reason this film should be in 2D, more or less 3D. Also, this film is the closest I've ever seen a film get to unintentionally hilarious without actually getting to that point. The reason  I found no accidental enjoyment out of this film is that the film itself believes everyone in the audience is an idiot, and doesn't even try. It's true, I felt like an idiot sitting there just having wasted $13, but the audience, while feeling like idiots for paying for this film, are not idiots in and of themselves. The Darkest Hour will be used for two purposes once it deservedly flunks at the box office (or at least I hope it does)-to entertain people with the highest of mental disabilities in institutions and to show film students and up and coming actors how not to make a movie. This is the worst film of 2011 by far, and I beg of you not to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment