Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance Review

           
I'll be the first to admit-I loved the first Ghost Rider. I thought it was a fun, exciting origin story. On top of this, I love Neveldine/Taylor, the directing duo behind the great Crank films and the strange but fun Gamer. Neveldine/Taylor have now decided to take on a sequel to Ghost Rider. It seemed perfect---a fun directing team mixed with a sequel to a movie I enjoyed. That being said, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance is egregious. The storytelling rudimentary, the directing way too off the wall for its own good, and the acting over the top. Nicolas Cage starred in last year's Drive Angry, an off the wall 3D adventure I loved. This film had the potential to be the next Drive Angry. It had all the elements of that film-violence, 3D, a so ridiculous it might actually work storyline, and yes...Nicolas Cage. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, however, takes those elements and smashes them into bite size pieces, that when eaten, leave a horrible taste in your mouth. This film also wastes the actors of Ciaran Hinds and Idris Elba, two of the coolest British actors you can wish for, in horrible supporting roles. The film, on top of all this, is so squeamishly bad. As I was sitting there, with my unnecessary 3D glasses on, I couldn't help but squirm at the fact that people will actually enjoy this film. Heck, the guy behind me was having a blast with the film. Then again, the guy behind me was also talking to himself throughout the film. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance also features quite possibly the worst scene in movie history in which Cage tries to hold back the Ghost Rider within, and ends up going insane. This is not a spoiler because it's so laughably obvious what's going to happen. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance is a film that no one should ever see if not just for the fact that so much potential is wasted in the short amount of ninety minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment