Monday, August 13, 2012

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days Review

Dear diary-Steve Zahn, Zachary Gordon, Robert Capron and Frank C Turner in Diary Of A Wimpy Kid 3
                   Ever since the first Diary Of A Wimpy Kid...I have been trying to boycott these films. However...I feel obliged to my readers to see just about everything I can see. Although I hate to admit it..I am kind of glad that I saw Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days. Now..before you go getting all defensive on me...I will say I think the movie is still awful but it made me have a realization. This realization is that talented people are involved in the making of this film but somehow they get stuck in these same old roles. In the film...Steve Zahn and Rachael Harris play Greg (Zachary Gordon)'s parents and Devon Bostick plays Rodrick...Greg's carefree, lazy brother.

                   I have seen Zahn and Harris in countless things and I have seen them both be good actors. Bostick was in Atom Egoyan's thriller Adoration of which I was not a fan but I though Bostick's performance in that was one of the best performances I had seen in a while. However...they all keep signing up to the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid films. Sure..it's an easy paycheck for all involved but I hope this does not spoil any of these peoples' careers. Even Gordon is obviously a very good actor but he has got to get out of this role.

                  My main problem with the film is that every scene feels like a set up for another stupid, gross out joke. Yes..I know that argument can made for many comedies but this feels particularly so. Even something like Bad Teacher that has the same problem sets up a plot and a conflict. In this film..we get no plot or conflict but rather a bunch of unfunny scenes involving poorly conceived jokes. I shouldn't be surprised because this was the case with the other two films.

                  Perhaps I am being too hard on these films..they are not made for someone of my age or movie going caliber. I am not a parent or a five year old kid. Those are the two audiences this film is made for. They are not made to be reviewed in a sophisticated manner as I am doing right now. I may be contradicting my whole review here but all I am saying is that the film has a very specific idea of demographic and that is who should be going to this film.
(1 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated PG for some rude humor)

No comments:

Post a Comment