Wednesday, August 22, 2012

$upercapitalist Review

 Not worth a cent-Derek Ting and Kathy Uyen as a hedge fund trader and his love interest in Supercapitalist
              $upercapitalist is the value DVD bin version of Margin Call. Who am I kidding? $upercapitalist is the version of Margin Call that you wouldn't even watch if it were playing as a free screening. I am sad to report that having seen this in the theater...I observed that three other people at my showing paid $8 each to see this film as did I. As a warning-I will mention that when I say this film is terrible in this review...I mean that this film should be avoided by everyone like it was the plague. In its own way...it is a plague. It is one of the few films that come around that I can actually say I almost walked out on. Earlier this week..I experienced a similar experience with 5 Broken Cameras but that film is a delight compared to this one.

               $upercapitalist is actually unlike any other film I have seen before. Do not take this as a compliment. By this I mean that in literally every other film I have seen...something..anything...the most minuscule of things happens. In this film...nothing happens. Sure..people speak stupid dialogue and there are a couple of villains but there is nothing to progress the film. It feels like a mood point to even mention there are villains because they have no personality to them. Neither does the main character Connor (played simultaneously over the top and incredibly boring by Derek Ting.) Connor is such a bland guy that when Natalie (Kathy Uyen) falls for him...the audience is scratching their heads at why.

              The film also features a twist that is both obvious and not fitting to the film. The film never picks up pace...even for a second and never feels like the thriller it's obviously trying too hard to be. It feels like it wants to be the new Margin Call but ends up more in the way of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

               I'm done reviewing $upercapitalist...it's hard to sit here and tell my readers what I did and did not like about it because honestly..there's nothing to the film. It is a big pile of nothing that had me running out the door like my butt was on fire the second the end credits started rolling.
(0 out of 5 Stars, The film is Not Rated)

No comments:

Post a Comment