Sunday, December 2, 2012

Killing Them Softly Review

Stale violence-Brad Pitt and Richard Jenkins as an enforcer and his employer in the action film Killing Them Softly
                  I love gritty action films when done well. I think we can all agree that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are two of the best films ever made. I also love a little known gem called Suicide Kings. Killing Them Softly-writer-director Andrew Dominik's second feature film starring Brad Pitt does not fit that bill. It is a film with too much of a political agenda and not enough grittiness or wit to it. Pitt proves once again to be an excellent actor but for most people that will just be because you remember the same type of "don't mess with me guy" in something like Inglorious Basterds. The film even starts with a Barack Obama speech being cut in and out of. I don't care what Dominik thinks he's doing---either way, he is not making a good movie.

                 In the film---Pitt plays Jackie. He's the kind of guy who likes to see people experience long and painful deaths. After two inept robbers (Scoot McNairy and Ben Mendelsohn) hold up a card game run by Markie (Ray Liotta)---Jackie is hired by Driver (Richard Jenkins) to take them down. This may sound like a totally awesome idea but despite an extremely violent beating of Ray Liotta in a parking lot...all the audience is getting is violence with no substance. People who have been reading my stuff for a while now should know that I need substance with my violence.

                McNairy and Mendelsohn are by far the best part of the film. Perhaps it is because they are newcomers that they impress so much but they were excellent. Their characters are completely unlikable and yet we the audience enjoy watching every second they are on screen because they are in fact---so inept. Where the movie fails is showing all the experienced actors in supporting roles doing nothing. It's as if they lost all hope on the film and decided to not even try. Also---the film goes on for way too long. It is a cool idea for a TV show episode stretched out to a feature length film. Within half and hour of the film---I kind of wished it would be over soon. This is not to say it is a bad film---just a tedious one.

                  Overall---Killing Them Softly can never seem to get its own two feet off the ground. Never have I seen a film I wanted to end so badly and yet wanted to continue so much. I wanted it to continue because I had hopes that it would improve greatly. While I can say that the end line comes out of nowhere and sums the film up perfectly...I can also say the film hardly improves at all throughout its entire run time. I would say see this film only if you are dying to see it or love politics and even then...wait for Netflix.
(2 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for violence, sexual references, pervasive language and some drug use)

No comments:

Post a Comment