Friday, December 28, 2012

Rust And Bone Review

He's got a leg up on her-Matthias Schoenaerts as a man who falls for a double amputee in Rust And Bone
                Well---it's the end of the year and that means I am making my best and worst list. Good thing I saw the new Belgian film Rust And Bone before making the latter. This is a disgusting little film that in equal parts mocks the handicapped and women. It is a truly despicable piece of work with the most unlikable male lead I have seen this side of Hannibal Lecter. Nothing works about this film and when I say nothing I mean nothing. It is garbage. It reeks. It makes sitting through every other film I have seen this year seem like a cakewalk.

               The film stars Marion Cotillard as Stephanie---a killer whale trainer who suffers a terrible accident and becomes a double amputee. She then meets Ali (Matthias Schoenaerts)---a completely misogynistic jerk who sleeps with multiple women and asks for sex from Stephanie not only after she has lost her legs but when they barely know each other. This starts a relationship in which we are supposed to believe that Stephanie sees even the slightest bit of charm in this guy,  He is the lowest common denominator form of scum and never gives the audience any reason to root for him. He's even awful to his very young son.

               The film never reaches past the point of "oh---there's a woman with no legs--you *the audience* should all stare in disgust." This would be insulting enough as is but then the audience is supposed to believe that an attractive woman like Stephanie would never get any guy except for this jerk after she has lost her legs. Perhaps the film may not have been so grossly offensive had it not been for the fact that Jacques Audiard had directed it. He has done three previously beautiful films---A Prophet, The Beat My Heart Skipped and Read My Lips. Now---he presents us with this ugly piece of trash that gives the audience no one to root for and nothing to be engaged in.

                 Upon watching Rust And Bone---I felt like I was watching that one rare car crash that I can look away at but I am forced to sit and watch. It is nothing more than a mockery of people---especially females and the way they live their lives. Why must these films be green lit? Well---I know many are going to enjoy this film as an art house picture. That may be a reason. However---those people also probably don't mind making fun of people with disabilities or an awful script or terrible acting or a completely unrealistic film or you know---being in pain.
(0 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for strong sexual content, brief graphic nudity, some violence and language)








No comments:

Post a Comment