Saturday, December 29, 2012

Top 10 Films Of 2012

                                        I published my top 10 favorite films of 2012 to Facebook leaving two in particular out. That I will get to later. I have compiled this list to spread the wealth of all the great films that have come out this year. This is a list of 10 films that I think people should have seen this year if possible. With the exception of a few (including my favorite)....there was no excuse for people to seem most of these films that I consider to all be quality film making.
(10) Argo This is one of the two that I left out. I am sure many people are going to have this higher on their list. I thought although it lost its footing a couple of times....it was a movie lover's movie and a great piece of film making. Ben Affleck proves yet again that he is a quality director as well as a fantastic actor. This is a great film but not worthy of any spot but 10.

(9) Easy Money A truly great underground thriller....this film shows the rough and tough world of criminal rings. The film is extremely difficult to watch in many parts but that is the point. It shows what it's like to be a criminal and that is the whole point. Another underground crime thriller----Headhunters almost topped this list but I felt as if I could only choose one crime film.

(8) 21 Jump Street  While this film is not an Oscar caliber film like many on my list...it is fantastic for what it is...a comedy. It provides laughs galore and builds on a potentially dumb plot. It is also the funniest film I saw all year and therefore makes my top 10 list.

(7) Flight Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle once again both prove to be great actors who never pick a bad role in this phenomenal drama. With the most suspenseful scene I have witnessed all year...this is a thrilling film that gets you gripping onto your seat right from the get go.

(6) Cabin In The Woods The other one that I left out which I could have gotten in had I thought for a couple seconds more...this is the most inventive film I saw all year. It is a clever mix of horror and comedy that works as both a hilarious parody of all the cliches in horror films nowadays and a creepy horror film in and of itself. With a great cast and excellent direction...this is one film that should not have been missed by anyone.

(5) Lincoln Daniel Day Lewis may get yet another Oscar win for playing Abraham Lincoln in this flawless biography and you know what...I'm okay with that. The excellent supporting cast including Tommy Lee Jones, Sally Field and the flawless James Spader and the amazing direction by Steven Spielberg help this to be the fantastic film it is.

(4) The Perks Of Being A Wallflower Anyone who is in high school or has been through high school can relate to this film. This film is the best high school comedy this side of John Hughes. The acting is outstanding and the script is quick and witty. It may not be the funniest high school comedy this year (21 Jump Street takes that honor) but that's only because it's the most touching and tender and therefore the best one.

(3) End Of Watch Like a more realistic episode of "Cops"...this is a funny, touching, thrilling and altogether fantastic film that tugs at your heartstrings while you are on the edge of your seat. How this film was not seen by everyone on Earth is beyond me. With all the crap that has been coming out in wide release..it is nothing short of a miracle that films like this still get wide release.

(2) Silver Linings Playbook There is no other way to put this...this film is so close to the number one spot I can't stand it. However---there was one film that was just slightly better this year. If you have been reading my reviews consistently and/or have talked to me about film...you know what that is. With instantly palpable chemistry from Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper and touching supporting performances from Chris Tucker, Jacki Weaver and Robert De Niro....the film never gets too mushy or into too much romantic comedy territory and for these reasons is an amazing piece of film making.
(1) Killer Joe As previously mentioned...anyone who has talked to me about film and/or has read my reviews constantly knows how much I love this film. With a stunning performance from the previously unreliable Matthew McConaughey and amazing supporting performances from Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple, Thomas Haden Church and Gina Gershon and a witty and daring script by Tracy Letts as well as fantastic direction by the almost always reliable William Friedkin...words can not do justice to how much I love this film. I might as well stop typing because I will not get my point across as to how great this film is. I will end this by saying that this film is now available on DVD and Blu Ray and you should see it right away. In fact...don't Netflix it because despite how brutal it is (which is what makes it so great)...you will want to watch it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment