Monday, April 9, 2012

The Skinny Review


                           The Skinny in the new drama by Patrik-Ian Polk. Polk has recently done Noah's Arc: Jumping The Broom and Punks. I have not seen either of these films. The Skinny, as my first viewing of Polk's films is a good film I will never want to watch again. It is good, but it's so heavy handed and dramatic that I would not want to see again.

                            The film is about a group of friends. Four are homosexual men and a lesbian woman. They are Magnus, Kyle, Sebastian, Joey, and Langston. They go through daily routines as well as surprising revelations. With another film about a group of five friends also out this weekend, I wonder if this is purely coincidence or intentionally done. While The Skinny and American Reunion are two completely different films, one has to wonder if Polk released it around when people started talking about American Reunion, and in some areas the weekend American Reunion came out to gain more attention. But I digress, so back to The Skinny.

                            What I liked more than anything about this film is that it shows the good and evil in all of us. While all 5 friends have their good sides, they also have their weaker moments in which they fall trap to society's needs and wants. I also loved the acting. Every actor here makes their character a person with different interests, personalities, and desires. However, the romance stuff got a bit too icky. It got to the point where you knew who was going to end up with who and why. I did like some of the relationships, while others paled by comparison. The Skinny is a film with many good qualities about it, but I will say it's one you're only going to want to see once.
(3 out of 5 Stars, The film is not rated, but does contain many adult themes and is not recommended for children)

No comments:

Post a Comment