Thursday, April 26, 2012

Think Like A Man Review


                       Remember in This Is Spinal Tap when David (Michael McKean) explains the fact there is "a fine line between stupid and clever?" Yeah..I do, too. Think Like A Man takes that line and plays around with it. The good cast elevates much of this tedious material, but they cannot completely save it. The film is based on the book Act Like A Lady Think Like A Man by Steve Harvey. As with Games People Play, this book spawned many rip offs and homages-sometimes simultaneously. The film version of Think Like A Man feels more like a self indulgent autobiography of Harvey than that of an actual film.

                     The main problem I had with this film is that, while trying to be a comedy..it's not that funny. Why must we always have jokes that make both men and women animals? I guess some people find this funny since Tyler Perry continues to make movies, but I don't. The film is also two hours long..a length that should be saved for something a little more serious. Kevin Hart is perhaps the best part of the film...delivering a few honest laughs as a happily divorced man who is obviously miserable inside. In fact..I liked the whole cast from Romany Malco as the player of the group to Meagan Good as the woman with whom Malco falls in love with. While Hart was my favorite of the men, Regina Hall as a single mother who goes out with Michael (Terrence Jenkins also impressed me.
                  The whole cast is fantastic, but the film is bogged down by the lame script which includes Harvey talking about his book on a talk show and cliche supporting characters-such as the nerdy white guy who's married but whose wife you never see. Think Like A Man succeeds because of its solid cast, but the script was dead to begin with. I can't say I particularly hated the film, but I can't say that I liked it, either.
(2 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated PG-13 for sexual content, some crude humor, and brief drug use)

No comments:

Post a Comment