Thursday, July 26, 2012

Katy Perry: Part Of Me Review

      You're hot and you're cold....Katy Perry is explored in the new documentary Katy Perry: Part Of Me
                  In one way or another...everyone likes Katy Perry. For me...it's because she's extremely attractive and talented. For others..it might be one or the other or something else. While I think Perry is a talented musician and a beautiful young woman...when I heard they were making a documentary on her my first thought was "do I really need to learn anything more about her?" Well..I am glad to say that unlike last year's Never Say Never about pop sensation Justin Bieber...I did not regret seeing Katy Perry: Part Of Me. It will be far from my favorite film of the year (it is very flawed) but it is an informative and extremely entertaining look at someone who has heated up the music industry as we know it.

                The film follows Perry on her one year concert tour across the world. It explores her life both on and off stage as she struggles to deal with relationships, pressure, fans, ETC. I enjoyed seeing her fans talking about how much they love her and I loved the idea of making a documentary that focuses on the pressure of being famous much of the time. The film is a zippy 90 minutes but does drag a few times. Where does it drag? Well....the relationships part is pretty bland. We get looks at her relationships with everyone. There is nice insight into her relationships with her make up artist, assistant, ETC. So why am I saying the relationships are bland? Well...most of the relationship stuff the audience gets involves her long time (now EX) boyfriend Russell Brand. This took up a good chunk of the film and really should have just been a quick topic of interest. Sure..I think both of them are talented but have we not heard about this in the news enough?

             However...that is not even the biggest flaw of the film. The major (and only other) flaw is the 3D. Anyone who sees this can see it in 2D. No matter how die hard of a fan you are...there is no reason to throw down five extra bucks to get a couple pieces of confetti thrown at the screen in the last minute. Also..the 3D hurt my eyes because much of the movie is concert footage and Perry's wacky costumes are always somewhat flashy and mostly totally flashy so seeing these bright colors in 3D makes the colors too bright.

           Still...who am I to complain? I really enjoyed Katy Perry: Part Of Me even if it did have its flaws. I was expecting nothing from this film and I was very pleasantly surprised. I recommend this film for both the die hard fans (or as they call themselves...Katy Cats) and the not so huge fans who are just looking for a good time.
(3 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated PG for some suggestive content, language, thematic elements and brief smoking)

No comments:

Post a Comment