Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Magic Mike Review

         Matthew McConaughey teaches Alex Pettyfer the art of stripping in the new comedy Magic Mike
                   For anyone who is wondering what Channing Tatum's butt looks like..this is the movie for you. As a straight male...I had no desire to see that side of Tatum (although he is admittedly handsome.) However...I loved Magic Mike. Yes...despite my personal issues with seeing a film about male strippers...I can not help but admit that this was one of the most enjoyable films I have seen all year.

                   As I mentioned...I am a straight male but by far my favorite part of the film is the stripping scenes. Yes...it is not because I enjoyed seeing these men strip down to their thongs but because they were so well choreographed. Director Steven Soderbergh does a great job at directing these scenes and adds the perfect type of music to fit the scenes. Also...the actors had obviously practiced their moves because no one can be this good at stripping without practicing.

                   The film features solid performances from Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Cody Horn, Matthew McConaughey and the Olivia "the most beautiful woman on Earth" Munn. Speaking of McConaughey...this is the most fitting role for him. It is in fact even more fitting than his role in Dazed And Confused. The film does get a bit too mushy at the end with a typical romantic comedy ending but that's nothing compared to the rest of the film.

                   As it is, I thoroughly enjoyed Magic Mike. It is well acted, well directed and gives new life to the art of male stripping. As a film critic..I try to see every movie for what it is. I try not to feel gay watching a movie about male strippers and because of this...I got to see one of the most enjoyable movies of the year.
(4 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for pervasive sexual content, brief graphic nudity, language and some drug use)

No comments:

Post a Comment