Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Savages Review

            All drugged up with nowhere to go-Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Johnson are pot dealers in Savages
                       Let's be honest-Oliver Stone was once a great director but has gone downhill quite a bit in the 2000's. In fact-in the last 12 years he made six films and only one-W. was decent. Savages is his seventh film in this decade and let me say right away-Savages not only does not break the mold of his bad film streak but makes it that much worse.

                      Where to begin with Savages-a film so boring and stupid I regretted not buying safety pins to help me keep my eyes open during the film. Well...the performances are terrible. Taylor Kitsch continues to go from one terrible role to the next. This year's Battleship (which I forgot so fast that I couldn't remember to review it) and John Carter features terrible Kitsch performances and this film is no better. Aaron Johnson-so good in Kick Ass and Nowhere Boy plays a complete idiot here. I guess that could be said for all of the cast, however so Johnson was actually my favorite thing about the film (which is like saying a kick to the groin is my favorite thing about losing a fight.) Blake Lively narrates and plays the disgusting free spirit of the story. Her narration is grating to the ears and adds nothing to the story. John Travolta plays one of the blandest characters in film history. Also..what are Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek doing in this film? They are talented people but here they play boring villians.

                         Secondly-the whole film feels like it was written by a really, really dumb six year old who was too hopped up on coffee that he did not realize how many ideas he was throwing out. None of these ideas are good, either. Also...the so called "twist" at the end of the film is nothing more than a way to wrap things up and not quickly enough.

                          I remember when Stone was churning out the Platoons and Talk Radios of the world. Now...he is reduced to making big chunks of nothingness. At over 2 hours long....Savages is the closest I have been to walking out of a film in quite some time. Just remember my reviews of For Greater Glory, Wrath Of The Titans and John Carter to recognize how huge of a statement I have just made.
(0 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for strong brutal and grisly violence, some graphic sexuality, nudity, drug use, and language throughout)

No comments:

Post a Comment