Monday, June 25, 2012

Big Easy Express Review


                       Big Easy Express is going to be a hard film to review. This is due to the fact that I can not quite fit the words together to tell my readers how great this film is. It is the most fantastic film I have seen so far this year. It is delightful in every sense of the word. My love for this film befuddles me. It makes it so I cannot write a straight review for the film.

                        The film follows three bands-Old Crow Magnetic Show, Mumford And Sons, and Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros. These bands play music throughout the movie..the type of music I generally do not like. However, these three bands are fantastic and seeing it in a movie theater makes the sound perfect. The film is directed by Emmett Malloy, whose only other feature film was the universally panned 2001 comedy Out Cold which he did with his brother, Brendan. I actually kind of liked Out Cold, and this leap from somewhat funny comedy to fantastic documentary shows Emmett's fabulous skills as a director.

                       What I liked about Malloy's style is that he lets the bands do their thing without getting in the way. It's almost as if he said "pretend as if I'm not here..just do what you were going to do anyway." The bands obviously really enjoy one another's company as they show great chemistry throughout the film, and the major fun of the film is watching them perform and compliment each other on their performances.

                        Also, the film treats the bands nicely, but Malloy does not show his bias for these bands. He obviously loves these bands as will the audience after watching this film, but he does not make the film too sticky sweet because of his love for these bands. These are three phenomenal bands put together for one trip...a trip that will go down in my book as one of the best, if not the best documentary I have ever seen.
(5 out of 5 Stars, The film is not rated but has nothing offensive and should be seen by everyone who has a love for music)

No comments:

Post a Comment