Thursday, June 7, 2012

Not Too Shabby Review #2: Ishtar

                       Elaine May has done many a panned film but none as universally so as Ishtar. From its opening day in the theater to its home video release...you will be able to see this on all the worst lists. However, I have always found something particularly charming about this piece of work. Much like many other films of its kind...it's charming  in some sort of weird, fascinating way. This is not to say I will not admit that the film is bad...just that it is a film I enjoy quite a bit. 

                     Everyone knows the story...two Simon and Garfunkel wannabes named Lyle (Warren Beatty) and Chuck (Dustin Hoffman) travel to the desert and end up getting lost in it. There is actually much more to the story than that but there's the basic lay out for you. There is nothing wrong with this film. It may sound boring and tedious, but seeing Beatty and Hoffman play off each other is wonderful. While this may not be the epic pairing that some may hope for..I could not have asked for more from Beatty and Hoffman working with such a bad script.

                   Also, the supporting cast including Charles Grodin, Tess Harper, and Carol Kane are all great here. These are talented people who know what they are doing, and do so. The problem that many people have with this film I believe is the script. It is such a bad idea for a story..I will concur. However, I will also admit that the talented cast elevates much of the material to entertaining levels. Also, the direction by May is very strange but fun..giving the film a certain visual look that has never been seen in film since then.

                 Ishtar is not a bad film. Rather..it's a misunderstood one. Sure..the idea is awful, but it's a perfectly fun film that many people do not understand the intentions of. There is something I find enjoyable about this film and that I like about this film. I may never fully understand what that something is, but I can certainly say I really like this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment