Thursday, June 7, 2012

Under The Radar Review #4: Drive In


                          Yes...no one has ever heard of Drive In. Perhaps that is a good thing. With a movie filmed on a budget of what could be no more than two dollars and a poorly acted and directed set up..this is a film many people will not enjoy. I find some strange charm in it though. Perhaps it is because I enjoy all those cheesy Roger Corman  pictures and all those (admittedly) terrible Troma horror films. Drive In is personally one of the most enjoyable horror films I think I have seen in a while. 

                        Why did I watch this film..you may ask. Well..I was cleaning out my basement and picking through my old  VHS tapes when I saw that I had this. I am supposing I bought it years ago and never got to watching it. Anyway..the cover, along with the tagline grabbed my eye. I then read the synopsis on the back. It told of how it was about a guy who is confined to his house goes on a killing spree at the drive in theater across from his house. I decided to watch it.

                         That guy is Billy...a mentally challenged man who has had enough and decides to kill everyone in sight. The film, as with another film I will do one of these reviews on later on was filmed on all donated property (or at least I assume.) The film was obviously shot as some of the actor's houses and other locations that required no money. Just from the opening credits you are able to tell how low budget this film is. This is, however part of the charm.

                         No one in this movie is well known. In fact, the only slightly well known person in this film played Ricky..Jamie's admirer in Not Another Teen Movie. You read that right. With an ending that will upset most, poor acting, poor directing, and a terrible script...I will not say Drive In is a good movie but it is one of the most enjoyable I will ever see. You can get Drive In on DVD for about $5 (that includes shipping) on Amazon. It is currently a short wait to get the DVD on Netflix. If you are skeptical about this film...just buy it anyway..you are more likely to enjoy it solely for its low budget than not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment