Friday, June 22, 2012

Only The Young Review


                          I saw Only The Young at a film festival and one of the festival directors gave an introduction. He said "this film grabs you, but it doesn't grab you in the way you expect." I'm pretty sure I didn't get that right, but that's basically what he said. I tend not to start off with other people's quotes in a review but that was exactly what the film did to me. I am not just saying this because the festival director said it...I'm saying this because it is a truly phenomenal film. It was, in fact...the first great film I have seen at this festival.

                         The film follows Garrison, Skye and Kevin. They are three teenage friends living in California. When Garrison breaks up with Skye..Kevin kisses her. This causes a love triangle among the three. The best thing about this film is that all of the teenagers are likable. I really, really liked all three of these people. The two guys are skateboarders and the female is highly pierced but they're not punks. I got invested in these characters and really started to care for them.

                         Anyone who has ever been a teenager should relate to this film. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship should relate to this film. I have done both of these things, and that's how I know anyone over the age of 13 should relate to this film. It is a truly well made documentary.

                         The other great thing about this film is that you really, truly do not know what is going to happen next. Everything in this film comes at the audience like a bolt of lightning....especially the sad ending.

                         Only The Young is so good in both its execution and idea. Director Jason Tippet obviously had an idea he wanted to document and he got it down to a science, and that is the ultimate testament of a documentary filmmaker.
(4 and 1/2 out of 5 Stars, The film is not rated but has nothing offensive)

No comments:

Post a Comment