Monday, June 25, 2012

Random Blog: My Take on the 2012 Silverdocs

The subject Grace and her mother of Fame High along with the director
                             Another year, another Silverdocs. In this blog, I will take a look at some of my favorite moments from the 2012 Silverdocs along with some disappointing moments. In this blog, I will do The Docs That Rock on great documentaries I saw, Middle Ground on mediocre ones, and Why? on ones that should have never made it to the festival. Naturally, I want my readers to experience the best first so here is The Docs That Rock (in no particular order):
Big Easy Express (2012, Emmett Malloy)-I know I said in no particular order but if you read my review on this one you would have been able to tell it was easily my favorite documentary shown this year. Taking three bands I had never heard of and somehow making me love them was great enough but then giving them chemistry and the fact that the music sounded great on the big screen...Malloy has done great work here.
Fame High (2012, Scott Hamilton Kennedy)-Although I have not done a review on this yet..this was barely beat out by Ann Richards Texas for my second favorite documentary this year. As it is, this delightful film with a nice message following around four incredibly talented and likable high school students was definitely my third favorite of the films I saw this year.
Don't Stop Believin'-Everyman's Journey (2012, Ramona S. Diaz)-I loved the documentary Don't Stop Believin by the incredibly talented Ramona S. Diaz who followed Journey around and documented the success of Journey tribute band lead singer turned actual Journey lead singer Arnel Pineda. Without sugar coating too much (in fact she compliments them just the right amount)..Diaz has made a truly wonderful look at a legendary band.
Ann Richards' Texas(2012, Jack Lofton and Keith Patterson)-A delightfully wacky woman, Ann Richards also knew how to get down to business. This film shows both sides, and I highly praise it for that. Also, the use of archival footage along with many interviews and tons of TV show and movie clips make this an absolute delight to watch.
Bad Brains A Band In DC (2012, Ben Logan and Mandy Stein)-Not putting Bad Brains and especially lead singer HR in the most positive of light, directors Ben Logan and Mandy Stein have succeeded at something that most documentary filmmakers fail to do-tell the truth about their subjects. There is plenty to love about both the group and the movie, however.
Only The Young (2012, Jason Tippet and Elizabeth Mims)-A delightfully offbeat documentary about love and friendship among California teenagers..Only The Young proved that teenagers are not all sex and drugs. The film proves there is something more to teenagers-something deep down in their soul.
Radio Unnameable (2012, Paul Lovelace and Jessica Wolfson)-A very fun documentary about legendary radio personality Bob Fass..this film offers up one of the most interesting concepts I saw. It provides a look into something that has been unfairly neglected for years and does a damn fine job at it. PS, I meant Bob Fass and shook his hand after the show but my phone was dead so I did not get to snap a picture with him.
Photographic Memory (2012, Ross McElwee)-By far the most personal documentary I saw at the Silverdocs.. Ross McElwee's Photographic Memory proves that the audience does not need to know about a subject in order to love the film that the subject is based on. McElwee proves yet again how magical his movies truly are.
Plimpton! Starring George Plimpton As Himself (2012, Tom Bean and Luke Poling)-As a writer myself, Plimpton! was a fascinating documentary..although not as fascinating as some of the others. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this look into a man who didn't just write about his subjects..he lived them.
Middle Ground:
Beware Of Mr. Baker (2012, Jay Bulger)-Although I did not particularly hate this documentary..I was expecting more from a film about someone as wacky and insane as Ginger Baker. The film bored me considering what a legend he is, and I have a feeling it's going to bore most people. Like I said..it's not bad..it's just boring.
The Waiting Room (2012, Peter Nicks)-A somewhat interesting failure..this documentary lacked any real wit or spark to make it enjoyable enough. Director Peter Nicks fills the screen with too much repetition and overall dullness to warrant a recommendation.
Why?: Trash Dance (2012, Andrew Garrison)-Out of all the films that I saw at the Silverdocs...this is the only one I truly despised. The people who run this magnificent festival get a couple thousand entries and have to pick from less than two hundred and this is what they chose? With a dull premise, even worse execution and the same thing being said over and over and over again...Trash Dance is a truly ludicrous film.
                As you can tell...I enjoyed most of the films at Silverdocs this year. In my opinion, it wasn't as good as last year but very close. If anyone involved in the Silverdocs is reading this..I hope you are not offended by my comments on some of these films and even more so I hope you and the rest of my readers enjoyed this blog. See you in 2013 for more Silverdocs!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment