Monday, June 18, 2012

That's My Boy Review


                   That's My Boy is crude, disgusting and completely tasteless. On top of being all of those things..it is also extremely funny, delightfully twisted, and just a little bit touching. Adam Sandler stars as Donny who gets his high school teacher-Ms. McGarricle (Eva Amurri) pregnant. Donny gets his 15 minutes of fame only to grow up and become a loser. In order to pay back the IRS and not go to jail he visits his son Todd (Andy Samberg) days before he gets married to Jamie (Leighton Meester).

                    What I loved about That's My Boy is that it avoids any life lessons about father-son relationships. Sure, we get a glimpse of that here and there but mostly the film is just about boys being boys. This is Sandler's first R-rated film since Going Overboard which was his first film and a complete disaster. The film definitely earns its R rating with a mix of sex, fart, and jizz jokes-most of which hit the mark perfectly.  The key to this film is Sandler. I never thought I'd say this about another film but Adam Sandler is hilarious. Sporting a weird wig and using a Boston accent is perfect for him. Sandler does come off as a bit of a jerk at first, but there's something oddly sweet about the character of Donny. Also...Samberg gets big laughs as the straight man who happens to get into some pretty messed up situations.

                      However....this film would not be complete without talking about the appearance of the man himself...Vanilla Ice. Ice is hilarious here...poking fun at his ridiculous career and the fact that he's obviously still stuck in the 80's. The supporting cast including Will Forte, Tony Orlando and a laugh out loud cameo by James Caan are also all very good here.

                      The film does come with its problems, though. While I laughed almost as consistently at this as I did at 21 Jump Street or The Dictator....the whole premise felt kind of creepy. The sex with a teacher is played for big laughs, and fails in that department because it's simply not a funny concept. Also, a twist at the end is kind of funny but deals with a very serious and grim subject that does not play out in a very funny manner.

                       Still, while I tried to hate this film as I rarely do...I couldn't help myself. Lord help me I laughed. I laughed long and I laughed hard. That's My Boy may not be the best comedy so far this year but it's certainly one of the best things Sandler has ever done.
(4 out of 5 Stars, The film is rated R for crude sexual content throughout, nudity, pervasive language, and some drug use)

No comments:

Post a Comment